Tuesday, September 18, 2007

back to work

It's good to be back. While being home in the States was fantastic, I've realized that my work here is not yet finished. This Friday is our annual anniversary party at Haven. This is the biggest event of the year. No budget? No problem! Filipinos are extremely resourceful. New paint, new curtains, new landscaping...I'm not sure where the money is coming from for these projects aimed at impressing our guests (donors, local government officials, etc), but they are pulling out all the stops. I don't ask. Because if I know that what little money DSWD has is being put towards superficial aesthetics and not rehabilitation programs for our girls, I'll lose my mind. This is the trick, I've discovered. There are things I can and can't change here, and it is a frustrating and exhausting waste of energy to focus on things that will not change. Parties and fiestas are a big part of Filipino culture. Being the practical westerner that i am, the money spent on these events seems a frivolous waste. But not to them. So I will sit back, enjoy the party, and concentrate my efforts elsewhere.