Monday, August 21, 2006

weekend trips

Over the weekend I went to visit my friends Kate and Pat in Nueva Ecija, which is a Provence about 3 hours notheast of me. For a week and a half we were talking about it, what kind of American food we would cook, what movies we would watch, what songs we would sing when we went out for videoke. Its so crazy how much you look forward to things like this. Just sitting around, talking and laughing, having a beer with friends. Nothing special. Its just so relaxing to not have to struggle through a tagalog conversation and have someone understand and reciprocate sarcasm.
Today is a Filipino holiday so its a day off. Ive decided that the mosquito situation is getting out of control, so i bought a few meters of screen and some duct tape. While I was hoisted on my washtub, which was on top of my coffee table, to tape up the screens, i saw that in my back "yard"there is nothing but standing water and trash. I guess that explains the swarms. Yeah, duct tape and screens. It looks pretty ghetto. But here its all about functionality. Nevermind whether or not its aesthetically pleasing (which its not. it looks like a six year old did it). I will still use my net and take my malaria pills, but now i dont have to cover myself in deet everyday. That cant be healthy.
When I was visiting Kate and Pat, i saw that they had bought a washer. Ive decided to do the same. I feel like this western-comfort splurge is a bit indulgent, but my stinky clothes would beg to differ. When you handwash, you hang things up that are soaking wet since you cant spin the water out. So on average it takes about 3 days for them to dry, longer if its raining, which it usually is. With the spinner it only takes a day so your clothes dry before they have a chance to get mildewy. I cant wait to take a shower and dry off with a towel that doesnt smell like wet dog.
Speaking of dog, I tried it last weekend. Its not too bad if its cooked adobo style. I mean i wont be making it for myself or anything, but I didnt gag while eating it.