I'm about to utter what may be our country's most cliche phrase, but here goes: I am proud to be an American. I know, I know...but its true. I am always asked to explain PC to the locals. They are usually incredulous as to why anyone in their right mind would leave America, especially to come here??? They can't get over it. I explain that our government pays me a small living stipend to work in a developing country for 27 months, and how exciting I think it is to be immersed in a culture so foreign from my own for that long. Can I do it?, they want to know. Can I go to another country and my governement pays me?
While they arent fully grasping the sacrifices volunteers have made to do this, I see what they're saying. In a country where the majority of its citizens live far below the poverty line, a federally-funded volunteer organization is just about the last thing on their list. Being here is an extraordinary opportunity. While it is considered "volunteering" since I dont receive a salary, I am given enough of a stipend to live comfortably, or as PC says, "the equivalent to the average person in your community". It's not a bad gig. And at the end of it, I get to come home. I will return to the land of opportunity, where I wont worry whether or not I'll be able to find employment upon my return. I wont worry whether or not my employer will provide me with health care. I wont worry that the salary I make wont afford my transportation and housing.
The people here arent going anywhere. They are in it for the long haul. Without a Visa, Filipinos are legally allowed to travel to Hong Kong and (i think) Singapore. Thats it. Anywhere else, they must have a Visa, which is hands down the most coveted document in the land. Obtaining one is no small task; you must have a connection at the embassy, you must travel to Manila at your own expense to apply for it, you must wait years to get an answer, and then, if you get it, you must pay alot of money. So while everyone dreams of getting one, in reality, it doesnt happen too often.
While I am not necessarily enthralled with our administration's decisions regarding foreign policy right now (I dont want this to get political so I will just leave it at that), everyday I am reminded what an incredible priveledge it is to be an American. If i get nothing else out of this experience, that realization will be enough.

